Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A trip to Mackinac Island too...

The next day, we took a ferry to Mackinac Island. We bought the ferry ticket online, so we just wait in line once we arrived. I saw people brought their own bikes, strollers... Well... I left my new bike at home.

The weather was gorgeous,... not too hot, not too cold... Just right. It took us 15 minutes to get to the island. As we approached the Island, we were pointed to the Grand Hotel, governor's summer residence and Fort Mackinac.

Jared, our tour leader who dressed up in 1880 soldier uniform, told stories about the Fort Mackinac history. We also saw the cannon and riffle blasting reenactment.

What I love the most about the island is because there's no motorized vehicle allowed. The main transportation is horse and bike. No air pollutant from the cars, but may be from the horse dump.
This picture showed how your luggage delivered to your hotel rooms. Really with horse power.
I could imagine how it feels in the old days when car was not invented yet.

No honks... people would just yell at you... One cart stopped and the driver yelled at me, "Heading your way...." I was too busy taking pictures and not realizing that I was standing on a driveway.

I just got to take horse pictures. This one wasn't very happy as he/or she "neighed" me right after I shot her...

Originally, we want to rent a bike right when we arrived. I'm glad that we talk to the tourist info first before renting a bike. Since most of the things are within the walking distance, you don't need to rent a bike unless you want to circle the island.

There are at least 5 bike stores. The price are about the same,... they are pretty competitive. Look for the bike you like. You can test drive it... well sort of. If you don't like it within a few minutes riding, you can return the bike and find different stores.

I rented a cruiser and a burley. Total ride is about 8 miles and took us about 2 hrs with few stops. It was a pretty flat ride. However, with 2 kids in tow and a backpack full of kid's stuff, camera, diaper, snacks, water, milk, extra clothing... it was a bit too much for my leg and buns.

We had lunch at Millie's. We could buy a sandwich and eat it during our bike ride, but I figured it's easier to dine it. We had ice cream, pop corn, and of course, I got to take Murdick's fudge home. Yum... And of course, stop by the Trading Post to buy t-shirts.

On Friday, I will talk about our last day at Mackinaw City...

No comments: