Monday, May 12, 2008

Meet Alex Whatton of MarthaHaskins.etsy.com

As I was strolling around Etsy, looking for a gift for our anniversary, I stumbled upon this card. I was thinking this might be suitable for my hubby, who loves listening to the radio, even when he's mowing the lawn. The card is colorful, fun, somewhat describe him and made me laugh... Which makes me wonder, who is the artist who made this...

I met Alex Whatton, of Martha Haskins. I began by asking her, what is it with the shop name...
MarthaHaskins: Martha Haskins is my grandmothers' name. I never really got to know her, I wanted to honor her memory.

Bigib: Can you tell me a bit about your background?
MarthaHaskins: Well...it all started when I was about five years old and my mother took me to my first art class. [It helped that she had started her own art school called Artsplace in my hometown (Cheshire, CT) and it was basically my daycare!. I always loved how I could express myself with art, but I never thought that I could make a living doing it! Which meant that when I went to the University of Connecticut, I actually left with a degree in ethology and got a job working for a biotechnology company in New York rather than painting. After a few months there (and a life-changing honeymoon) I realized that I needed to get back in to my art. It was the best decision of my life!

Bigib: Why do you use markers to work on your pieces?
MarthaHaskins: Lately I've been using a new set of Prismacolor markers because it was a birthday gift from my mother and also because my husband and I are moving to New Jersey and I had to pack-up most of my studio, including nearly all of my painting supplies. The truth is, I love how acrylics and markers are so permanent. With acrylics, sure, you can paint over anything, but you'll always have bright colors (and they dry quick!). I love the portability of my markers, as well. If I'm off for a weekend trip, I grab whatever five colors are calling out to me most and see what happens. Sometimes it works...sometimes...not so much!

Bigib: Any new project you are working on?
MarthaHaskins: I am hoping to work on some more fruit and vegetable paintings for a friend of mine from high school. She works for Edible Arrangements and has been decorating her house with my work. I am totally flattered and love to make things for her. We're thinking a large pinneapple next. My produce paintings have a very "pop-art" affect to them...I think you either have to love it or hate it!

Bigib: I always wonder, what is your design process... some artist sit down and do nothing and suddenly... ding... she got the idea. How about you?
MarthaHaskins: Hmm...I would have no idea how to describe it. Sometimes, I have no idea what I am drawing. Most of the time I sit down with one idea and out flows another one. The image I started with looks nothing like the end process! Inspiration is all around and sometimes one word can spark a painting.

Bigib: Do you innovate?
MarthaHaskins: I wish I could say that I "innovate." Better, cheaper, faster? I'm there - but nope, no idea. I take the long slow road and to tell you the truth, I'm really enjoying the ride.

Bigib: What is your favorite piece and why?
MarthaHaskins: My two favorite items are "Juicy" and "Frank Snowboarder" right now. Juicy is inspired from a Gary Lohr photograph that was given to my husband and I as a housewarming gift. I had just received my new prismacolor set and I was trying to figure out what colors where in the photograph and I loved the result! It really seems juicy to me! Frank is actually the silhouette of my husband from one of our ski trips...I love the burst of color and the sporty feel. I could just see it hanging in a young boys room.

To learn more about Alex pieces, please visit her store at http://marthahaskins.etsy.com

1 comment:

Alex Whatton said...

Thank you so much, Conny! It looks great! I feel honored!

~ Alex