Friday, February 22, 2008

Why do I make jewelry? The love of dreaming ideas and making it happen.

"What do you want to be when you grown up..."
That's what my mom asked when I was just a teenager.
"I want to be an Architect, so I can build a house for you", I answered.

People may think I'm a bit out of ordinary. With a Bachelor in Architecture, I should work in an architecture firm or a construction company.
Yes, I did work in Architecture world before. But now I'm doing it in a much smaller scale...

I believe, metal jewelry is Architecture in a different scale. It involves schematic design, design development, construction, just like the process in Architecture.
I use sterling silver instead of steel, I use nylon coated steel wire instead of steel cable, I use similar constructions like rivets, nuts and bolds or brazing. The only different is no one living inside a necklace or earrings.

I make metal jewelry because... I love doing it, it's my passion. I dream about my design at night, I think about it when I'm putting the baby to bed, when I'm rocking her in the glider, when I'm in the shower, when I'm driving from work, everywhere...

When I walked to my studio, I'm charged with energy, ready to burst. I wanted to construct an idea that I had been playing in my mind. When I sit with my torch or my hammer in my hand, I have goose bumps, filled with excitement then...pfft............I'm in a different world...

Recently my mom asked "What are you doing?"
"I'm making a necklace for you..."

No comments: