Friday, February 15, 2008

How to clean sterling silver with things you found in your kitchen...

Admit it,... you find the sterling silver jewelry you like, you admire it, you buy it, you wear it,... few months later ( if you do not put it in a sealed box ) it will get tarnished. Now... what to do?

I decided to write this on my blog as customer are asking, how to clean sterling silver?

Well... I found that you have 2 ways. The happy way and kitchen way.

The happy way is you go out to jewelry store and buy sterling silver polishing cloth. Some call it Sunshine polishing cloth... I found one call it Moonshine polishing cloth. What ever they call it, it's basically non-toxic polish impregnated felt cloth. You wipe and clean it and be happy.

The not so happy way is if you have delicate designs on the jewelry and you want to clean between crevices. There are solution out there to clean, which I never use. First, because I don't know what they use. Second, I have kids at home... It's easier for me to go to the kitchen rather than hauling the kids to jewelry store... (which is a nightmare by itself)

So, open your kitchen cabinet. Find baking soda, aluminum foil, shallow casserole or plastic dish and towel.. In the mean time, heat some water. Line the dish with aluminum foil, put the jewelry on top of aluminum foil and pour baking soda on top. Pour the hot water on it, enough to cover jewelry. You will see some chemical reaction (bubbling. It's usually take between 15-30 minutes to clean. Then clean it with soap and clean brush. Remember, it's hot water... do not touch the jewelry.

Here's some pictures I found at ehow...
Good luck...

Disclaimer: This is for informational purposes only. If you are in doubt, please seek professional help. Do NOT use it if your jewelry has some oxidation to show details. I'm not responsible for anything that happen to your jewelry using this method.

No comments: