Thursday, February 7, 2008

Art Find: Ellison Bay Pottery


I met John and Diane from Ellison Bay Pottery at Milwaukee Public Television Art Fair Show in November 2007, down on Townsend and Capital, at the edge of Brookfield and Wauwatosa. They're the nicest couple I've ever met. So, when we were in Door County, we decided to stop and say "Hi"

John and Diane gave us a quick tour of their place. It used to be a fruit barn, turned to be a home and studio. They showed their apple orchard on their back yard
of course they showed us their studio, the area where the fire the pottery and even I took home a piece of their pottery.

Every time when I see Diane or John, I would come home happier and richer... They are so knowledgeable with pottery and even philosophy.

I decided I want to blog her. So we met virtually in the morning. Diane just had steel cut oatmeal and smoothies for breakfast.

Bigib: Is there anything new and interesting?
EBP: We are making new products for this season...different mugs, vases, bowls, so something new to experience. I like to make small dishes I think we all need little dishes for so many reasons I like small vases but recently I have been dreaming of large sculptures for the garden.

Bigib: How is your design process. Do you innovate?
EBP : My ideas come to me completed, so I don't sketch much. John is always tweaking his work, his ideas. He plays with clay regularly in between all the making, to experiment and find changes, or innovations, perhaps?

Bigib: Any new book you're reading?
EBP: I'm reading Making a Literary Life: Advice for Writers and Other Dreamers

I am researching art and why people make what they do. Let's see, I like to read about people's processes. Recently I was reading essays written by writers about their writing process. The usual questions are answered, like where do you get your ideas? And how long does it take to write a book? when do you work? what inspires you? Questions like that. They are similar to the ones people ask us during demonstrations. We make a lot of jokes, you know, to keep it light hearted.

But one thing I see is common amongst people who are artists is that they are driven to do what they do. John goes to the studio to work, because that is his 'day job'. It's what he does. But what inspires him? It's the goal to throw the perfect bowl. Or vase. And since that can't happen, he will never run out of inspiration. There is one more bit of inspiration: he loves making pottery people will use. When they come into the studio and watch him work, they can see that a person made the mug or dish, and it means something to them, too. His finger marks on each piece really personalize it. It matters that people are happy with the pieces they find here.

My process is different. I rarely have an idea when I go into the studio. I spend a lot of time thinking and feeling about just what kind of clay I want to work with. I think about how much time I have in the day or the next few days. Nothing is ever done in a day, you know? I think about the colors I would like to work with, the tools. Sometimes I have an idea of a vase or a dish or tile and then once I start working, something seems to take over. If I fight that, then I am unhappy at the end of the session. I have learned to just let that happen. And I have learned to toss what I hate once I am done with it.

To learn more about EBP, please visit Ellison Bay Pottery website.
or their blog

No comments: