Friday, February 8, 2008

How to make a hand stamped pendant.



Today is first day I brought my piece to WhimsiKidz... I got 2 orders on the spot...
Whooo hoooo....

My customers were wondering, how did I do it?
Well...let me tell you a bit about it. What I'm going to say next is for informational purposes only. It shows what it takes to make the pendant. It's not intended to replace technical instruction from a licensed instructor. There are safety issues in handling chemical solution use in this process such as Liver of Sulfur. So, please talk to your instructor before you do this.

It's all start from a piece of sterling silver sheet plus tools and finesse. Cut the disc with disc cutter or jeweler's saw.
I use sharpie to decide where I want to put the wordings. Then, come the most tricky part... hand stamping it with steel hand stamping tool on top of steel block. It needs a lot of practice. So, be patient.
I then flattened the sheet with nylon head hammer.

With a center punch and hammer, I marked the hole for jump ring or split ring and and drill the hole. With dapping block and punches, I domed the pendant.

To darken the lettering, I put the pendant in Liver or Sulfur. No, it's not sharpie...!
Once it's all dark, I clean it with steel wool and clean it with soap and brush...voila!

Here's the picture of the tools I use just to make this hand stamped necklace...
A lot of time and effort to make this adorable necklace...




Resources:
I received an email asking where do I get my tools. Well... I got it in my husband's tool box. Since not everyone have access to my hubby's tool box.... you can try eBay, local jewelry supply stores& hardware stores. I go to Home Depot, Menards, Ace, just to wander around and find interesting items. Menards even sell copper/brass sheets, tubes, etc.

As for precious metal, you can try Otto Frei, Metalliferous, Hoover and Strong, Rio Grande, SFJSSantaFe... even sometimes I got supplies at Etsy.
Good luck...

Disclaimer: This is just for your information. I do not endorse any of these sellers.

No comments: