Friday, September 19, 2008

A simple butterfly garden


This summer, I made a Butterfly garden . It's easier than I thought.
We grew lavenders, marigolds and petunias. And of course I added milkweeds to attract Monarch butterflies.

I was so excited because my petunias and lavender grew so well. Soon, I discover there's a guest eating my milkweed... a welcomed guest.
I believe it's a Monarch caterpillar who is so busy chomping on leafs. My daughter is so very excited. She's checking on Monty ( Monarch caterpillar ) almost every day. We looked for information on the web on how to care for him ( or her ).

In about 2 weeks after we first found her, she grew longer and bigger. One day, she's gone...
We couldn't find her. Our hearts broke. I the next couple days, my daughter found her hanging upside down under the lavender. She decided that this time we should bring her inside the house to protect her from predators. We brought her in and carefully put her on the counter top.

Unfortunately, few days after that, she's gone. Instead of turning herself green, she turned blackish and shrunk to about half her her original size. Everyone is so sad.

I hope we'll do better next year...
Bye - bye Monty....

No comments: