Friday, September 26, 2008

Life without "the tube".


It's been over 1 month, we live without at TV. The power button doesn't work just before the Beijing closing ceremony and I have no intention in repairing it. It's a big ticket item that we were not budgeted for. Knowing our purchasing habit, I expect we would have a new TV say in a... hm... December?

My daughter wasn't very happy. Without a TV, she misses Arthur and other TV shows from 3:30 - 4:30 pm. I wasn't very happy either. Without a TV, I can't watch my exercise DVD, watch movie or just flip the channel, relaxing after a long day. But I managed to watch Nightly Business Report through its streaming video. It's not very comfortable way, but I can get by. As for hubby, ... it's not a big deal.

So what we have been doing in the last month? My daughter is perfecting her bike riding. Almost every day, after school, she would ride around the neighborhood or playing with her next door best friends.

I am on the other hand, is catching up with readings. I have been always wanted to read about Laura Ingalls Wilder. I managed to borrow some books read them all. I'm learning new things about life in the 1800's and also reminiscence my childhood time.

I guess TV does take a part of our time away. Don't get me wrong...I don't oppose it...
I think it is all right as long as it's a balance. I'm sure really missed the Beijing Closing Ceremony. Other than that, I could manage our life without TV.

As for hubby.... still...not a problem...


PS: Just an update. We finally get a TV, Panasonic Veira...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are still getting to enjoy NBR in these turbulent times! How old is your daughter? I used to read the Little House series to mine when she was bike-riding age. Now she enjoys the American Girl series with Kit, who is also a pioneer. You might have fun reading those together.

Magsmom