Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy birthday, America...


Fourth of July usually celebrated with a bang...! A lot of fireworks around the city. My favorite spot is actually my deck. I could see downtown Waukesha firework without having to be in the crowd.

I sometimes have mixed feelings when I see the 4th July fireworks. Despite the loud fireworks, I sometimes almost into tears... because I'm happy and proud to be part of this country.

As a person who was raised abroad, I understand the feel of being treated differently just because of my skin color or my eyes color. And I can tell you, it's an awful feelings.
In the last few years, I have been blessed with what I don't have to experience it again.

I feel save when I go out. People don't try to hurt you. I can go to the church without fears that someone will destruct the church.

I send my daughter to public school. A good quality public school available for the residents, not just because of your heritage.

People volunteer, I volunteer... something that I rarely hear when I was growing up. I give back to the community.

I could express my opinions/thoughts, freely.

The list could be on and on...

I think for me, freedom is being able to be myself, to do things I like, to express my opinions, regardless the color of my skin or the color of my eyes.

How about you? What is freedom for you?

No comments: