Friday, March 21, 2008

The Incredible Egg to the rescue... How to oxidize sterling silver with egg













I ran out of LOS (Liver of Sulfur) to blacken my piece. I don't have anything to purchase at this moment other than LOS...so I don't feel like ordering one LOS plus shipping. I remember reading about using hard boiled egg to blacken jewelry.
So I decided to egg my jewelry.

First, hard boiled the egg. Prepare a plastic container to put your jewelry and egg. Then tie the jewelry on the lid (tape will peel off because of the heat).Don't let it touch each other.
Second, place the egg on the container and crush it especially the yolk.
Third, leave it for about 30 minutes...
Voila... you get an oxidized item.
Not too happy with the result and you want it cleaned?
Check out my posting about how to clean sterling silver with items you found in your kitchen...

No comments: