Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Art of Innovation

I read The Art of Innovation book. Tom Kelley talks about how people innovate. One example he mention in the book is about redesigning grocery cart in 5 days. How? They sent people to the grocery store and observed shopper behaviors. At the end of 5 days, they came up with grocery cart with removable hand baskets within the cart.

Dictionary.com explains innovation as:
1. Something new or different introduced: numerous innovations in the high-school curriculum.
2. the act of innovating; introduction of new things or methods.

As a person who used to work for Arthur Andersen Business Consulting, I'm always challenged to innovate. How to make things better, cheaper, faster.

So when I read this book last year, it just click to me. How can I innovate? How can I make things better. So, I challenge all artists, designers, business owner, anyone... the next time you design, make a thing, ask yourself a question. Do you innovate?

No comments: