Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hanko stamp, an East Asia seal

I had a pen friend in Japan. When she wrote to me, she would put a red circle stamp in the letter.

In 2009, when I had a chance to stop in Japan, I asked my friend Cynthia about the red circle and she told me that it is called "Hanko"

Generally, Japanese would put their last name in the Hanko. It works like a signature, where you could pretty much sign a legal document with a Hanko.

I don't think it applicable in the US. So, I decided to ordered two for me. One in each name.

Since I have an English name, she would order it in Katakana. My name is Conny, in Katakana it would be "ko-ni". Same thing with my last name. Here is a picture of a Katakana.

It cost me no more than ordering a stamp in the US, but it is so beautiful and artistically well done.

I decided to use it for my magnetic bookmark that is made from Japanese paper.

So, when you order my magnetic bookmark, it is not only is hand made, but it is personally signed by me, in Japanese...

To learn more about my pieces, please visit http://bigib.etsy.com

No comments: