Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bitter melon recipe


As I was walking to Waukesha Farmers market, I saw a kind of vegetable I used to know. It's called bitter melon. As the name suggested, it's bitter... but good...
My mom used to cook it. Today, with a little "bravery", I decided to cook one.

What you need:
3 medium size bitter melon, 3-5 cloves minced garlic, 2 table spoon minced onion, 1 red pepper(I was out of red pepper, so I use sweet banana pepper), chili soy bean paste, oil, coriander, salt and pepper.

Here's how I cook it.
Cut the melon in half and clean the seeds. Cut about 1 cm thick and put in a bowl. Sprinkle some salt, toss it around and set it aside about 20-30 min.
Then, squeeze the juices out and rinse it well. The salt would help ease the bitterness.

In a pan, add oil and stir fry all the ingredients above. When the melon looks cooked, add soy bean paste, coriander, pepper. Taste it before you add salt.
It's ready to serve.

I eat it with steam rice. Hubby doesn't like it. Which made me wonder if we should prepare this for the chef and the city...

No comments: