Monday, April 6, 2009

How to make cat's tail from fabric


My daughter is having CATS birthday party theme. In addition to cat's face painting and cat's ear, she wants to have cat's tail.

We helped her searched for cat's tail on the web, however, it's way over her budget. So, she turned to her creative mom to help make tails.

We needed some fabric, wire, stuffing, sewing machine and some creativity to make one. I happened to have a white terry cotton fabric and polyester stuffing. She just needed to get ribbon (to make a belt for the tail) and thread.


I cut the fabric 5"x20" and sew the top for the ribbon. Then I sew the side to make a tube and tapered the end. The most tricky part is turning the tube to the right side up. Then the tail is ready for stuffing. I use chop sticks to help stuff the tails.

After all tail is stuffed, then I put a ribbon on the top, do a double knot, and tie it on her belt.
I found fabric marker at Joann and use that for children to decorate the tail.

The party was a blast. Everyone were enjoying their new tails. A couple children left the white tail and pretended it was the Angora cat's tail. Most colored the tails which ranges from the simple stripes to the most stripy tiger cat's tail.


I think it was the best tail tale party I've ever seen.

No comments: