Friday, October 3, 2008

A short visit to Old World Wisconsin

Did I tell you I grew up with "The Little House on the Prairie"? You can read my " Life without the Tube " blog.

Last week, we spend half of our Saturday visiting Old World Wisconsin.
It's brought me to my childhood time as I remember The Little House series.

They have many villages including the German, Polish, African-American,... etc.
Due to the time limitation, we only visited the Crossroad Village, where they have a church, general store, black smith, shoe store, inn, a house....
We visited the general store, which reminds me so much about the Olesons and the notorious Nellie.

It's amazing to see what they carry in the store. Mostly are manufactured items like tools, cups
and saucers, fabrics, gun powder, tobacco products, soap. They don't have frozen food or fast food as in 1800's, most people grew their own food.
I learned that during that era, most people would only have 2 sets of clothes for 1 week. To help keep it clean, they use aprons and petticoats.

We visited the Benson house. The stove caught my eyes. It uses woods as the heating source ( not gas or electricity like the ones we have nowadays ). They put the woods on one side of the stove. From the way they design the stove, you would have "high burner" is the one closes to the heat source and "low burner". And people in the old days also use iron where the would also put it on the top of the stove.
We also stop by the cobbler house and quickly take a peek at the Inns...
On the way home, my daughter got a chance to ring the 5 o'clock church bell...

Surely it's a great place to visit again...

No comments: