Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Santiago Calatrava's Milwaukee Art Museum


I'm lucky to live in a city where Santiago Calatrava designed our Milwaukee Art Museum.
I am one of his admirer. What I think is so significant about his work is because he incorporates cable structure to his designs.

Cable structure is used when you want to achieve a long or wide span space without any column or structure obstructing the space. Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco, CA is one of an example for using cable to achieve long span structure.

What is so interesting about cable, is it could only take tension force. Or if you give push on both ends, it will always make a parabolic shape. This specific feature inspired me to design what I call Architecture inspired earrings and pendant

It includes the feature of cable has plus the beauty of unique design. Wouldn't you agree?

No comments: