Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dairy free chocolate cup cakes

Are you moms who has milk allergy babies and looking to bake a birthday cup cakes?
Don't worry.. there is dairy free cup cake comes to the rescue...

Last week, my daughter who has milk allergy, turned 2. I wanted to get her cup cakes from the store. Unfortunately, those are not dairy free. After searching on the internet, I found this About.com website with dairy free cup cakes.

The recipe calls for dairy free chocolate chip, soy yogurt... those are new to me. I finally found those items at Good Harvest. I was skeptical about the result.

It's actually the best cup cake I've ever baked.

I included the link to the original document. To make the life simpler, I decided to put the recipe on the blog also.

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • ½ t. salt
  • ½ cup soymilk
  • 1 T. apple cider vinegar
  • ¾ cups dark, dairy free chocolate chips
  • ½ cup soy yogurt
  • 2 T. egg Replacer mixed with 3 T. hot water

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another small bowl, combine the soymilk and apple cider vinegar until just combined and slightly thickened. Set aside.

3. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the chocolate chips with the soy yogurt. Stirring constantly, cook until the chocolate is just melted and there are no lumps. Remove from heat.

4. Using an electric mixer on high speed, add the chocolate mixture, soymilk mixture and Egg Replacer mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Portion into prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting with dairy-free frosting of choice.

I had my daughter decorate the cup cakes with ready made icing. It turned out to be fun and yummy projects for both kids.

No comments: