Friday, March 27, 2009

Meet Valerie Gallery





What is that...? Is that a watermelon...? a bowl....? a superman....?
No... It's a nesting bowl with watermelon color...

I was looking for a felted bowl on Etsy and this bowl really caught my eyes. It's hard for me not to knock on her computer screen and start asking more about her pieces... So, here we are, I'm interviewing one of the most talented Etsy artists.
Please meet Valerie Kessler...

When I asked about her background, here are what she has to say...

Valerie Gallery: My mother taught me the basics of knitting/crocheting and my daughter taught me the basics of felting. Together it was a match! I started knitting in jr. high and have been a fiber nut ever since.
I mainly use wool or wool blends for my creations. I love the way the natural fibers feel and the visual effect is terrific. I find it amazing that a piece of 'string' can be made into so many beautiful and useful items.

Bigib: What's new project you're working on, or anything coming up?
Valerie Gallery:I'm working on some great felted bowl designs in spring and summer colors that will be listed soon. After a long winter, I just need to see some of those fresh spring colors!

Bigib: How is your design process
Valerie Gallery: I cannot read a knit or crochet pattern to save my life, so all my work is my own. When I make a bowl, I just pick up the hook and yarn and start right in. Often times, the bowl will end up totally different than what I had in mind when I started. It is like the yarn takes over the design and my hands just help it along.

Bigib: do you innovate ( make things better, cheaper, faster...)
Valerie Gallery:I love to improve on a design. Once I finish an item I stare at it and think, "Ok, this is good, but what could I change to make it better?". I have tried so many different things and not all have been positive. But with the failures comes the knowledge of what doesn't work, and that is just as important as knowing what does.

Bigib: What is your favorite items and a brief description about it.
Valerie Gallery:My favorite item that is currently in my shop is this blue bowl.



I find simplicity of shape and design is the most soothing and appealing.

To learn more about Valerie's pieces, please visit http://valeriesgallery.etsy.com

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Thanks so much for this feature! Your blog is lovely.