Saturday, February 21, 2009

I was in the ditch on I-94 and Pewaukee 294 exit

There is always a first time for everything....
Today, after living 10 years in Wisconsin, I had my first experience skidded of the road.

We were on our way to Marquette University for their outreach program. I was driving at around 45-50 mph. The highway was a bit snowy. It was all right until at one point I felt I was driving on a snow and the car started to skid.

I tried to handle the car calmly even though my daughter was screaming in the back. It felt like riding the snow tube... The car was out of control and it's at the mercy of the force.

Out of those possibilities that could happen to a skidding car, I got the best outcome.
There was no car or semi behind me. The car skidded to the right instead of the left that could hit the median. The car stopped in the ditch, less than a foot from a fence, with no single scratch.
I did not harm anyone, I did not break anyone's property, everyone is safe and sound.

"Thank God...!".

Still shaken, I tried to back up the car. Of course, it didn't take me any where. So, I finally called 911. The Pewaukee police came about 10 minutes later. Then he called the tow truck.
While we were waiting, I called hubby, who is stuck at home with the baby.

The tow truck came, pulled us out and I paid $ 85 plus tax for the towing. Quite expensive for a first time experience...

Now I'm at home, still shaken even though it happened about 2 hours ago...

Next time I'm out and about... I will always remember to drive very slowly in the snow...

Next time I'm out and kiss hubby good bye,... I will really mean it. It might be our last kiss...

1 comment:

Jim said...

wow. i gave a speech in our Toastmasters meeting last Monday that explained a weird thought that i had last Saturday (2/14/09) that my wife and daughter might have some accident on the road -- and that i will not take it for granted that they will be back.
much like your final comments-- very interesting coincidence!