Monday, April 7, 2008

Meet Maram from Maram.Etsy.Com



As I was strolling on Etsy, I stumbled on this cute Moo Cow Reversible Purse.

I really like this reversible purse idea. Yes,... I'm going green. I like the idea that you can wear the same item in many ways. Well, I designed earrings that can be worn in many different ways myself. Moreover, as a Wisconsinite, anything "cow" related products, would catch my eyes...

So, I began by asking her about her background.
I've been an artist/creator for as long as I can remember- making costumes, jewelry, doll clothes, drawings and paintings galore. I was always interested in fashion, and when I finally got my own sewing machine as a college senior, I started making clothes. Then I started making purses to give as gifts. Two years later, I got laid off from my job at a museum, and asked if they might sell some purses on consignment. They said yes, and I took inspiration from an exhibit where the artist used old ties as borders for some of her works. My designs have taken off from there.

I'm also all about recycling. My parents are big hippies, and my mom actually started the recycling program in our city. I love being able to get materials from the thrift store, and turn someone's old discards into something new and fabulous. Another great thing is that using old materials really helps to keep my prices low.

Bigib: What's new project you're working on, or anything coming up?
Maram:
My newest project is called "Oh, Sheet!" I'm using old sheets to create soft, sturdy tote bags - and the straps are old belts! I've cut the tops into inverted triangles, so they are really designed to hug your body. They can all be worn across your chest, keeping your hands are free for more important things!

Bigib: I'm sure you have tons of favorite items. Can you pick your most favorite?
Maram:
One of my all-time favorite purses is my olive green corduroy purse.
I love the colors, the silver lining and the tie is just too good. Everything works together so nicely - this is the purse I secretly (or not so secretly) don't want to sell.

Bigib: Is there anything else you want to share?
Maram:
I love to make all kinds of stuff, and then I love for it to find a good home! I also love to help other people - especially kids - make art/objects/stuff. I'm finishing my Masters in Art Education this spring, and looking for a full-time K-12 teaching job.

To learn more about Maram store, you can visit http://Maram.etsy.com

No comments: