Sunday, May 10, 2009

How much is a mom worth...?


I need to go to a day workshop. Then, who is going to watch the baby?

So, I called our baby sitter. She won't be able to do it. The day care I know that would do drop ins, won't take her as she's not potty trained yet. I sent out a mass email to Mothers and More group for inputs. Someone came up with a nanny idea.
How much is a nanny... well it ranges from $10-$12/hr... what does she do? Takes care of the child and anything around it.

Hm... it made me think... I took care of my children and anything around it. Am I worth $12/hr?
How much is a mom worth? Can we quantify and put a value on it?

Salary.com calculated that mom worth $116,805 because moms do 10 typical job functions including housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, laundry machine operator, computer operator, psychologist, facilities manager, van driver, chief executive officer and janitor.

That's great. Is that all? If all those people work together to raise a child, would they become a mom? How about love. How do you quantify a mothers love to their children?

I personally choose to stay at home to raise my 2 children. I grew up with my mom who stays at home. I remember she'd greet me at the door and ready with a glass of fresh squeeze orange juice. Someone who can talk to and always there to keep me feel safe... that is in the addition to those job functions.

Perhaps the value of a mom is not so much on the things she did or did not do. There are some intangible asset that made a mom is a mom... Love...

Do the job raising a child, $ 116.805; a mom's love... priceless.

Happy mother's day...

No comments: